Types of cards
There are three different types of communication access cards.
- Expressive Cards – If you have difficulty using speech alone.
- Receptive Cards – If you have difficulty understanding speech and written information.
- Expressive & Receptive cards – If you have difficulty using speech and understanding speech and written information.
See instructions below.
Expressive Receptive & Cards
- Expressive and Receptive Card – business card size
- Expressive and Receptive Card – A5 size
- Expressive and Receptive Card – A4 size
To create your own communication access card follow these steps. If you have trouble with any of the steps, you can ask someone to assist you.
- Step 1: Select the card that is the most appropriate for your needs
- Step 2: Select the size that is most useful for you
- Step 3: Personalise and type your own communication needs in the space provided*
- Step 4: Print out the card
- Step 5: Cut along the lines where indicated
- Step 6: Fold along the lines as indicated by this text —–fold here—-
- Step 7: *You may prefer to miss Step 3 and write down your own communication needs in the space provided using a pen
- Step 8: Laminate the card
- Step 9: If you would like to hang the card from a lanyard, punch a hole in the spot provided and attach to a lanyard through this hole
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Do I use all 3 cards?
The cards are designed to meet your needs and match your communication difficulty. Select the card that most meets your needs. For example:
- Expressive – If you only have difficulty communicating using speech alone.
- Receptive – If you only have difficulty understanding speech and written information.
- Receptive and Expressive – If you have difficulty using speech alone and understanding speech and written information.
Which size do I choose?
The cards come in business card size, A5 size and A4 size. You can choose to use all 3 sizes or just one size. For example, you may like to use a larger size card with larger text on a wheelchair tray. You may prefer the business card size to carry easily in a wallet.
What if I have difficulties using my hands?
There are a number of ways the cards can be used. You can:
- Place it on a flat surface, like the tray of your wheelchair
- Hang the card from a lanyard (see step 5)
I have chosen the card that suits my needs, can I add my own ideas onto the card?
The cards are designed to be personalised to your own needs. You will find space on the card to add your own comments. Some examples may be:
‘I need a flat surface for my talking machine’ or ‘Please find me a quiet space to communicate with you’