Helping Children with Autism

Do you have a child with an Autism Spectrum Disorder? If yes, you may be eligible for Helping Children with Autism (HCWA) funding.

Scope is an approved provider of HCWA services. We offer various therapy services under the scheme to help your child learn and develop.

What is Helping Children with Autism?

HCWA is a package that provides funding to children with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Through HCWA, you can access early intervention services.

If your child is eligible for funding you can receive a total of up to $12,000 for support services until the child turns seven.

HCWA is funded by the Australian Government Department of Social Services (DSS).

Who is eligible to receive Helping Children With Autism?

Children diagnosed with one of the following conditions can receive HCWA:

  • Autism
  • Autism Spectrum Disorder
  • Autistic Disorder
  • Asperger’s Disorder/Syndrome
  • Childhood Disintegrative Disorder; or
  • Pervasive Developmental Disorder – Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS)

To access HCWA your child must be deemed eligible for funding by an Autism Advisor before they turn six.

Please note: Children with Rett’s Disorder were previously eligible for HCWA. From 1 February 2014, this condition is now eligible under Better Start funding.

Children with the above conditions may also be eligible for Medicare rebates.

What services can I access with Helping Children With Autism?

Scope is an approved provider of HCWA services. We offer a variety of therapy services, programs and groups under HCWA. All are specially designed to help your child learn and develop.

Services include:

  • Occupational therapy
  • Speech pathology
  • Psychology

Programs include:

  • Transition to school assistance

Groups include:

  • Getting ready for school
  • Social skills and making friends
  • Anxiety and sensory groups
  • Learning to play
  • Splash, play and swim
  • Preschoolers with Autism

Scope runs groups according to demand. Talk to us about how we can help you.

How can I register my child?

If you are a parent or carer of an eligible child you can apply for funding today.

  1. Contact an Autism Advisor from Amaze Autism Victoria on 1300 424 499.
  2. Complete the Helping Children with Autism application form.
  3. Your Autism Advisor will contact you once your completed application form and supporting documentation has been received.
  4. Contact Scope about how we can help you access our services through your HCWA funding.

For more information please contact us or visit DSS Helping Children With Autism.

You can view resources from the Amaze Autism Victoria website here.