The rollout of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is an exciting time of change but it can also be overwhelming.

The National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) monitors frequently asked questions that are coming through on social media, posting responses up on their website. We are reposting this information to help keep you up to date.

For more information, please visit the NDIS website.

Q. Why is every NDIS plan different?

A. Every NDIS plan is different because every NDIS participant is unique, and no two peoples’ lives, goals and daily activities are exactly the same.

NDIS plans are different from person to person because they’re based on each participant’s unique support needs, goals, daily activities and any other mainstream supports they might receive. This is a part of the NDIS’ commitment to being a person-centred approach to disability care.

This page of the NDIS website has some examples of services and support that you might want to access with your NDIS plan. Their website also has resources on getting ready for developing your first plan.

Q. Can I use my NDIS funding to purchase items online?

A. Yes, if you self-manage your NDIS plan, and the item has been approved in your plan.

If you self-manage, you will need to get an invoice from the place you have purchased the item, and supply a copy of this invoice when you make a claim with the NDIA.

For more information on this, see the Self-Managing Your Plan guidelines available for download on their Self-Managing Budgets page. In particular the following sections may be useful:

  • 1.5 – Purchasing goods and services
  • 1.7 – Self-managing process
  • 1.8 – How do I claim a payment from the NDIA?

If you don’t self-manage all of your plan or the budget within your plan that covers the item you want to purchase, then the item will need to be supplied by a registered NDIS Provider.

Q. If I live in public housing, do I need to advise the Department of Housing if I am an NDIS participant?

A. You don’t need to tell your local department of housing that you are an NDIS participant for them to assess whether you’re eligible for public housing or not.

NDIS supports are dedicated to your disability support needs, so they are not considered ‘assessable income’ by state and territory public housing departments.

When you are applying for public housing, or if your circumstances change, a housing department might ask if you have a disability so that they can try to accommodate any additional requirements like home modifications, ground floor or lift access, or support workers.

They may also ask if you have a disability to help with planning more accessible social housing for the future, but you don’t have to disclose that you have a disability or that you are a NDIS participant.

For more information, you should see your state or territory government’s public housing website.

Q. Can study be funded as an NDIS plan goal?

A. If taking part in an education course of some kind is a goal in your NDIS plan, your plan will fund the additional supports that you need to reach that goal.

This means that if you have a disability that means you need things like help getting to class, or extra supports to take part in your studies (like assistive technology for your computer), these supports can be included in an NDIS plan.

The cost of the education itself – such as University, TAFE and continuing education courses – isn’t funded by an NDIS plan. This is because education is available to and paid for by the general public, and an NDIS plan is meant to bring down the barriers that people with disability face when trying to access those every day things like education.

Q. What is SLES and how will it help me? How do I include it in my plan?

A. The School Leaver Employment Support (SLES) initiave is a new type of funding that helps school-leavers move from school to employment.

SLES is currently in trial in Tasmania and the ACT, and progressively being introduced to the rest of the country.

These supports are available within an NDIS plan for participants of school-leaving age. It is designed to help young adults get the skills, confidence and experience needed to move from school to a job.

SLES can help with

  • Time management
  • Taking instructions
  • Handling money
  • Getting transport to work

For more information, see the SLES page of our website.