NDIS Weekly

Q & A 18th Dec

I saw the NDIS rollout areas in WA, I live in the South Metro area and I can’t find myself on the map!

People living in some areas of the South Metro and Kimberly-Pilbara region have been receiving supports under the WA NDIS. These areas will transfer to the National Disability Insurance Agency from April 2018.
The NDIS will commence in the remaining areas of those regions from July 2018.

What should I bring to my planning meeting?

Write down your immediate support needs and what your current and future goals are before getting to your planning meeting. Not everything will be achievable right away, so think about those key services, equipment or support that you need right now.

It is important to have a good idea on what you want from your plan, and resources such as the getting ready for your planning conversation booklet (PDF) can help you prepare. This is important because in your planning conversation, you and your planner will work out what the reasonable and necessary supports are to meet your immediate needs, and talk about the supports that will help you achieve your future goals. Find out more about developing your NDIS plan page on our website.

Can you get NDIS funding if you have had TAC or Motor Accident Compensation payout?

The NDIS is designed to complement, not replace, existing compensation arrangements for personal injury. If you have received, are receiving, or maybe entitled to receive compensation and you wish to become a participant in the NDIS you may have reduced NDIS supports available to you.

Participants should tell their NDIS contact person immediately about any compensation (past, present or future), they have received, are receiving, or may be entitled to.

Visit the Compensation and NDIS to find out more about what is compensation and how the NDIA applies a Compensation Reduction Amount for people who have received a compensation payout.

When placing finding and keeping a job participants (including SLES) into work experience, who covers the insurance? Is the provider expected to cover this?

SLES funding is not intended to cover the cost of work experience insurance. Insurance cover for participants is always the responsibility of the provider or employer.

How do I find out the hourly cap on service fees by suppliers?

You can find the price limit (or hourly cap) for service fees for Registered Providers on our website in Price Guides.

Unless otherwise stated, these price limits are the maximum that registered providers can charge NDIS participants for their services. Price limits are in place to ensure that you receive value for money in the supports and services you need.

There is no requirement for providers to charge the maximum price for a given support. You should negotiate prices, like other consumers and suppliers, based on your needs and preferences and the specific supports required.

Price guides are updated every year on 1 July. Different price limits apply for different services.

My child is receiving Early Childhood Early Intervention (ECEI) funding, is this forever?

ECEI funding is for children from birth up to 6 years-of-age. When your child reaches 7 years-of-age they will be re-assessed to either move to the individualised funded plan (where a formal diagnosis is required), or transitioned to other government support services.

Your Early Childhood Partner will work with you to understand your child’s individual needs and circumstances. They will also help you to request NDIS access if your child requires longer-term supports. If your child becomes an NDIS participant the Early Childhood Partner will work with you to develop an NDIS plan.

There is more information on Early Childhood Early Intervention on the ECEI page of the NDIS website. There is also detailed information and factsheet on Accessing the NDIS and the participant pathway on the website.

My child is entering year 12 and has NDIS funding. What happens when he finishes school?

That decision is up to him! If he’s thinking about joining the workforce he talk to the NDIS about having School Leaver Employment Supports (SLES) included in his NDIS plan to give him some extra help to think about what sort of work will be right for him. You can find out more about SLES on this page of our website.

If he identifies further education as a goal in his NDIS plan, his plan will fund the additional supports that he needs to reach that goal.

For example, if his disability means he needs things like help getting to class, or extra supports to take part in his studies (like assistive technology for your computer), these supports can be included in an NDIS plan.

The cost of the education itself – such as University, TAFE and continuing education courses – isn’t funded by an NDIS plan. This is because education is available to and paid for by the general public, and an NDIS plan is meant to bring down the barriers that people with disability face when trying to access those everyday things like education.

For more information about how the NDIS connects to other government services like health and education, take a look at the connecting with mainstream page of our website.