NDIS Weekly

The rollout of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is an exciting time of change but it can also be overwhelming.

The National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) monitors frequently asked questions that are coming through on social media, posting responses up on their website. We are reposting this information to help keep you up to date.

For more information, please visit the NDIS Website.

Does the NDIS cover leg waxing or other personal care at a salon where a PWD is unable to do it themselves?

No. Leg waxing and other salon type services are something that many people have done by others for a fee – regardless of ability. It is therefore considered an everyday cost that a person would choose to pay if they wished to have their legs waxed.

The NDIS might fund a person living with disability to help them with daily person care such as hygiene (having a shower or cutting toe nails) that are reasonable and necessary if they are unable to complete these themselves. The NDIS may also provide supports for a participant to get to the salon to access the personal care services if they are unable to get there as a result of their disability. But the actual charge of the service would not be covered by the NDIS.

How does the NDIS support someone who may have an intellectual disability to manage finances?

The NDIS will provide funding to participants to increase independence, and for some people this might including skill building to manage finances. If you have a goal of managing your finances, your NDIS plan might include core or capacity building supports (these are categories in your budget – find out more here) for a support worker to help you develop and maintain a daily budget. This could be help and teaching around preparing a shopping list, using a calculator, purchasing groceries and paying bills.

Your Support Coordinator or Local Area Coordinator can help you also to find the right community supports to assist you in managing your finances. Other options could include a course in budgeting, individual financial counselling, or someone more formal to help you keep your finances protected (e.g. the Public Trustee).

One thing to consider when you meet with your planner is how you are going to manage your plan. Your Support Coordinator or Local Area Coordinator can provide you, or your representative with information on the different options to manage the funding in your plan. It is important to remember that whatever option you choose, you remain in control of which support providers you choose to engage. Read more about understanding your plan and supports, as well as downloadable resources on managing the different parts of your budget.

I know that the NDIS isn’t rolling out to my area just yet, but what can I do to get myself prepared for when it does come to my area?

If you currently receive supports from a Commonwealth or State or Territory government disability program, you’ll be contacted by a NDIA representative when it’s time to start transitioning from those supports to the NDIS.

For some people currently receiving Commonwealth or State or Territory disability supports, you may not need to provide evidence of your disability. This is because some of those supports have the same eligibility criteria as the NDIS.

If you currently do not receive supports you can start gathering information to support your access request and planning conversation.

To enter the NDIS you need to meet the access requirements. You only need to do this once and the process includes providing medical documentation of your disability to the NDIA.

This includes information on the nature of your disability, its impact on your life, and how long it will last.

Evidence of disability and its functional impact can be provided by a health professional in the following ways:

  • The NDIS Supporting Evidence form
  • The Access Request form
  • Via existing assessments or reports.

For more detailed information on access requirements and completing your access request, you may also want to refer to this page of our website, Completing your Access Request, and the menu on the left hand side of the screen.

What is the process for accessing the NDIS if I don’t currently receive government supports?

The NDIS will provide support to many people who may not have been eligible for supports before. Watch Griffin’s story (external) for an example of services and supports the NDIS has provided where someone who had not previously received supports.

People with disability who aren’t currently accessing services from their State or Territory government should complete an access request form when the NDIS becomes available in their area. Call us on 1800 800 110 to get an access request form.

You can read more about access requirements and getting ready for rollout in your area on this Access Requirements page.

We’re moving from Brisbane to Sydney. What happens to our son’s plan?

If you move, you need to let the NDIA know about this change of circumstances as soon as reasonably possible. You can find out how to do that on the Change of Circumstances page. Once the NDIS is fully implemented as a national scheme, NDIS supports will be fully portable across Australia – your plan will move with you. During transition to full scheme, this ‘portability’ applies to all states and territories transitioning to the NDIS, in line with the access requirements, including additional residence requirements, for that state or territory (laid out in the NDIS Rules 2013). What that means is that if you’re currently an NDIS participant, and you move to an area where you would also meet the current access and residence requirements, your plan will move with you. To figure out if that might apply to you and your child’s NDIS plan, you should consult your Local Area Co-ordinator, or ECEI partner.