New Accessible Parking Permit scheme
A new Accessible Parking Permit scheme has been introduced across Victoria.
The new scheme launched on 22 March, and is designed to create fairer outcomes and free up accessible parking bays for the people who need them the most.
The main changes for drivers with disabilities or injuries are that:
- You’ll need to start the application or renewal process online, before you visit the doctor
- Accessible parking permits will be extended from three to five years
- People with permanent disabilities will no longer need to be re-assessed in the future.
The main changes for GPs and OTs are that:
- Instead of filling out a physical form, you’ll complete the functional assessment online
- You won’t know the outcome of the patient’s application – the outcome of the functional assessment will be sent to the patient once their local council has reviewed the application
- OTs will now be able to assess a patient’s eligibility for a permit.
Visit accessibleparking.vic.gov.au for more information about the changes.