The Silent Morning Tea is an excellent communication awareness activity. It is a great opportunity to engage everyone at your workplace in learning about the challenges faced by people with communication difficulties and reminds everyone of some of the different ways that you can support effective communication.
The International Society for Augmentative and Alternative Communication (ISAAC) has designated October as International Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) Awareness month. Scope celebrates International AAC Awareness month by encouraging people to get together to share a Silent Morning Tea.
In 2012 the event was publicised more widely and numerous organisations and businesses registered to participate. There continues to be an ever increasing number of local, national and international registrations every year. Registering to participate is FREE.
When you register to participate, we will email you a package of resources to download and use to plan and host your Silent Morning Tea.
Can’t participate in October? You can register and hold the event any time that suits you.
View our Silent Morning Tea Video.
How it works
- Organise a morning tea for work colleagues or friends.
- Register with us, and download your resources and games to play on the day.
- Print out the resources, game cards and instructions.
- Show the video on a projector or TV.
- Play the games and enjoy your morning tea.
- Remember, NO TALKING!! Use pen and paper, sign language, apps, communication boards, etc. Be creative with your communication methods!
- Laughing is okay!
Communication access occurs when people are respectful and responsive to individuals with communication difficulties, and when strategies and resources are used to support successful communication. Visit our communication access page for more information about this.
For any other queries, contact Scope’s Communication and Inclusion Resource Centre
Phone: 03 9843 2000