Key Word Sign uses manual signs and natural gesture to support communication.
For children and adults with communication difficulties, it’s a great way to encourage and support language development.
Key word signing uses a core vocabulary of words to communicate concepts and ideas. Each word (concept) is matched to an Auslan hand sign.
Auslan is the native language of the Australian Deaf community (Australian Sign Language), and we gratefully acknowledge the Deaf community for the use of Auslan signs.
How to get started using Key Word Sign
With workshops starting from beginner level, we can help you learn to use Key Word Sign to communicate with the person you support.
We also have a wide range of resources, and memberships to help you get the most out of Key Word Sign.
Workshops and training
Key Word Sign workshops
Learn how to use Key Word Sign in a fun, interactive and affordable way. Attend a workshop in your state or territory run by accredited Key Word Sign presenters.
Key Word Sign presenter training
Key Word Sign presenters are licensed to run basic Key Word Sign workshops. Attend a 4 day training course, then deliver a basic workshop supervised by an experienced presenter.
Contact your regional representative for more information about workshops and training.
Become a Key Word Sign member
A Key Word Sign membership gives you access to up-to-date resources and information.
This membership is for anyone interested in learning more about Key Word Sign. You’ll get access to a wide range of resources and information, including:
- Articles videos, stories and information about KWS in different settings
- Videos of using KWS with popular songs and story books, with corresponding picture and sign based resources
- New sign vocabularies
- Quick summaries of research findings about KWS use and benefits
- Webinars on a range of KWS topics
- “Ask an expert” sessions
- 5% discount on all products and resources for sale
Professional Membership for presenters
Want to run your own Key Word Sign sessions? Apply for training that will equip you with the skills to deliver basic Key Word Sign workshops.
As an accredited presenter, your membership will include:
- Access to the latest training packages and use of the trademarked Key Word Sign logo
- Access to information about past and current KWS research
- Regular Sign Updates, including development of remote access for Sign Updates
- KWS webinars
- “Find a Key Word Sign presenter” listing on website
- Access to all General Membership benefits
- 10% discount on all products
Buy Key Word Sign Resources online – become a member and save
The following resources are all available from the Scope shop. Become a member to benefit from discounts on shop items.